Bath Lovers Natural Bath Bomb Recipe
This simple, all natural bath bomb recipe will delight and take your bath indulgence to the next level!
Bath bombs are great to use or give as gifts. They are fun and safe to make and can be made at home with just a few select natural ingredients, most of which can be found in your kitchen cupboards such as skin nourishing epsom salt, alkalizing baking soda, moisturizing sweet almond oil and fizzing citric acid.
Before you begin..
Take note: the active ingredients in bath bombs only take literally a couple of seconds to work, so make sure you have all of your ingredients on hand ready to mix.
Ingredients for your Bath Bombs
Baking Soda is one of the most important ingredients in your bath bomb recipe as it is a natural alkalizer and compliments the citric acid to give that wonderful fizzing reaction we all love.
Citric Acid helps to provide the fizzing, champagne like effect of your bath bomb.
Corn Starch gives the bath bombs that silky, luxurious feel.
Salt, Oil and Liquid
You will need the following to bind the ingredients all together. You can choose whichever combination you prefer:
Oil: Moisturizing oils like Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil or Olive Oil work well
Salt: Epsom Salt
Liquid: Water or you can use Witch Hazel (if you want your skin to be ultra moisturized)
Fragrance/Essential Oil Blend: This beautiful, refreshing fragrance blend will soothe and relax you:Ylang Ylang Extra Essential Oil 13 drops, Sweet Orange Essential Oil 20 drops, Lavender True Essential Oil 7 drops
Other EquipmentYou can make your bath bombs using just your hands but you can get much better results using the following pieces of equipment (most of which you probably already have stashed away at home somewhere!)
Digital Scale - so that you can measure out your ingredients accurately
Molds - Metal Bath Bomb Molds. Metal ones are better to use then rubber as they mold the ingredients better
- 8 ounces Baking Soda
- 4 ounces Citric Acid
- 4 ounces Epsom Salt
- 4 ounces Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of Sweet Almond Oil
- 2 teaspoons of Water (or Witch Hazel)
- Essential Oils -13 drops of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil, 7 drops of Lavender Essential Oil and 20 drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil.
- Combine all your dry ingredients (baking soda, epsom salt, citric acid, and cornstarch) in a large bowl and mix well until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine your oil, witch hazel (or water) and stir well. Now for the best part: Add your essential oils.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients a few drops at a time. Mix well with hands (wear gloves if you have sensitive skin).
- The mixture should hold together when squeezed without crumbling. You may need to add slightly more witch hazel if it hasn’t achieved this consistency yet. A spray bottle is good to do this gradually.
- Quickly push your mixture into the molds. Press in firmly and leave at least 24 hours (48 is better) or until hardened. It will expand some and this is normal. You can push it down into the mold several times while it is drying to keep it from expanding to much.
- When dry, remove and store in air tight container or bag. Use within 2 weeks.